Weather. Canada. USA.
from USA Today.
Laugh of the Day.
from Reader's Digest.
Picture of the Day.
|Welcome to Issue # 6 of the
Bookmark this page for easy access to News, Weather and Sports and Shift Work related information.
In this issue:
Protect those Shifty Eyes
- Eye Strain Strategies
Working shiftwork and staring at a computer screen just do not go together. Even for day workers eye strain due to viewing a monitor is an increasing problem.
Staring at a computer screen can lead to visual stress and stress headaches. Symptoms range from dry eyes to dizziness and even double vision.
If your reading this you could be experiencing this right now.
Some studies have indicated that acute myopia (near-sightedness) can occur if you spend too long staring at a computer monitor.
Here is some advise to help lessen the affects of eye strain due to computer monitors.
- The ideal distance and height of the screen varies from person to person due to different body sizes, but one rule of thumb is to place the palm of your hand on the computer screen and straighten your arm. This will give you a good viewing height and distance from the screen.
- Reduce the rooms florescent lighting by as much as 50% if you can.
- Adjust the contrast and brightness of your monitor several times during the day. This will help to reduce eye strain.
- Try to eliminate as much glare as possible that shows up on your monitor. Sources may be lights or windows behind or near your terminal. Also shiny desk tops can cause glare problems.
- You may find that doing a few simple relaxation exercises each day will help.
Try the following:
1. Try glancing away from the screen every couple of minutes. This will help to relax your eyes and clear your distance vision.
2. Take a 10 minute break within every hour of extensive work involving viewing your monitor.
3. Periodically raise and lower your eyebrows, as if surprised, to relieve tension and fatigue.
4. Your co-workers may wonder what you are doing but try rubbing the palms of your hands together briskly for about 20 seconds until you feel some heat in your hands. Place the palms of your hands over your closed eyes lightly for a couple of minutes. Try this whenever you eyes are feeling tired.
By using some of these strategies and techniques you may find rest for your tired eyes.
Happy Viewing !!!!!
Women who work shifts are 1.4 times more likely to suffer coronary heart disease than women who work day hours. The probability of suffering heart disease increases with the amount of time working shifts, according to Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Association.
adapted from Network - Spring 1996.
How to Ruin Your Child *
1. Begin with infancy to give the child everything they want. In this way they will grow to believe the world owes them a living.
2. When they pick up bad words, laugh at them. This will make them think they are cute. It will encourage them to pick up "cuter" phrases that will blow off the top of your head later.
3. Never give them any spiritual training. Wait until they are 21 and then let them decide for themselves.
4. Avoid use of the word "wrong", it may develop a guilt complex. This will condition them to believe later, when they are arrested for stealing a car, that society is against them and they are being persecuted.
5. Pick up everything they leave lying around ... books, shoes, clothes. Do everything for them so that they will be experienced in throwing all responsibility on others.
6. Let them read any printed matter they can get their hands on. Be careful that the silverware and drinking glasses are sterilized but let them mind feast on garbage.
7. Quarrel frequently in the presence of your children. In this way, they will not be too shocked when the home is broken up later.
8. Give a child all the spending money they want. Never let them earn their own. Why should they have things as tough as you had them.
9. Satisfy their every craving for food, drink, comfort. See that every sensual desire is gratified. Denial may lead to harmful frustration.
10. Take their part against neighbors, teachers, policemen. They are all prejudiced against your child.
11. When they get into real trouble, apologize for yourself by saying "I never could do anything with him/her".
12. Prepare for a life of grief. You will be likely to have it.
* Original source unknown. It is known to have been distributed by
the Houston, Texas Police Department, under the title "Twelve Rules
for Raising Delinquent Children".
This Shiftwork is Driving Me Nutty Pie
Here is another Low-Fat recipe that is easy to make and will drive you "Squirrely".
What you need:
3 Egg whites -- beaten stiff
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
20 Crackers (coarsely broken)
1/2 cup Pecans -- chopped
1 container of Cool Whip
1 mixing bowl
1 buttered pie plate
Preheat oven at 300.
In the mixing bowl,
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add baking powder and beat more.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat again.
- Fold in crackers and pecans.
- Place bowl contents in buttered pie plate and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and top with Cool Whip and chopped pecans.
Thats it for this issue.
Bye for now!!!
If you have any comments or questions,
Please E-MAIL me at firstname.lastname@example.org